International Students FAQ

Q: Can students from Peking University School of Transnational Law apply for the U.S bar exam to be a U.S lawyer?
A: For more information about bar admissions see here.

Q: Would late-submission of my LSAT score put my application at a disadvantage?
A: No, if early notice of late-submission is given, applicants will be given equal consideration.

Q: How is the LSAT score weighed in the admission application?
A: A student’s LSAT score is a critical part of the application. Along with the GPA, it serves as a standardized, objective measure of applicants. While higher scores are preferred, STL does not have a fixed index of how it is weighed in the final decision.

Q: Is it possible to waive the LSAT requirement?
A: Currently, there is no policy of exemption from taking the LSAT. LSAT is a required part of our admissions process and is valued as an important part of evaluating the candidates. All the candidates are required to take LSAT without exception.

Q: Do I need to take IELTS or TOEFL?
A: If your first language is English, or you have graduated from a university whose language of instruction is English, IELTS or TOEFL score is not required.

Q: What kind of recommendation should I provide, academic or professional?
A: Both academic or professional recommendations are accepted.

Q: Can international students apply for scholarships?
A: Yes. International students are eligible to apply to all scholarships, except those that are limited to Chinese students.

Q: Are there any other ways to receive financial aid other than scholarships?
A: There is a loan program held by US Ministry of Education, which permits eligible U.S. students to borrow federal student aid to help pay their education expenses while attending an approved institution located outside the U.S. The borrower is obligated to repay the loan at a later date. At present, Peking University is applying to restore its status as an approved institution outside the U.S., under which American students who attend Peking University can become eligible to borrow money from the U.S. Government to pay their PKU tuition.

Q: Can I take J.M. courses?
A: Yes, but international students are required to provide proof of Chinese language proficiency (HSK, the Chinese proficiency test), personal statement and other supplemental materials to apply for the J.M. program at the end of the first academic year. The tuition fee for the three-year J.D. is 120,000 RMB per year but J.M. requires a fourth year of extended academic study, which is an additional 20,000RMB for the fourth year. Payment can be made in accordance with SZPKU’s finance department’s policy.

Q: Will I be interviewed after the submission of all the application materials?
A: For international students, telephone interviews may be conducted if the admissions team has any additional questions or requires clarification about application material. However, face-to-face interview is preferred if the student is able to travel to Shenzhen. For most applicants, admission decisions are based mostly on application materials without interviews.

Newsletter Sign Up

Peking University School of Transnational Law

Room 410, School of Transnational Law
Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School,
University Town, Xili, Nanshan District,
Shenzhen, China 518055