How to Apply
Every summer, Peking University School of Transnational Law (STL) invites top college students from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and abroad to experience STL’s unique combination of American and Chinese legal education, with classes based onthe study of actual cases and the intensely interactive Socratic method. SHP also offers students the opportunity to develop their moot courts skills and to learn first hand about legal practice in Shenzhen and Hong Kong through visits to leading companies and important government and judicial offices.
August 2 to August 8, 2015 (includes visit to Hong Kong)
Peking University’s Shenzhen Graduate Campus located in Shenzhen, one of China’s most innovative and attractive cities
Enrollment is limited to 80 students who will be divided into sections of 40 each
A detailed schedule will be forthcoming. Please check our web site at http://stl.pku.edu.cn/shp/ for regular updates. Past SHP activities have included interactive J.D. and J.M. classes taught in English and Chinese by STL’s distinguished multinational faculty; moot court competitions; discussion sessions with current STL students and STL graduates; and visits to leading Shenzhen-based companies (e.g., Huawei; China Vanke Industries) and important government and judicial offices (e.g., the Hong Kong High Court; the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption; and the Legislative Council).
Here’s what two former SHP students (now full-time students at STL) had to say about their SHP experience:
“[T]he Socratic Method and moot court left me with the deepest impression. I got a better understanding of the differences between STL and traditional Chinese law schools – initiative, critical thinking are greatly emphasized at STL. Although it is true that the four years of learning at STL will be challenging and demanding, … [I have learned] that studying law can be interesting and thrilling.”
“The most important thing I learned [at STL] is: help each other learn. This is very different from what I was taught in our education system. In Chinese education system, we have to compete with each other stressfully, everyone wants to be in the top and most of the time we exclude others from our own new ideas and achievements. In 10 days at STL, I and my roommates helped each other read cases, we exchanged ideas, … we solved problems together as a team and we learned new things faster and efficiently … From what I have experienced at STL, I am impressed by the team spirit …”
- Junior students from key universities in China (mostly universities among the 985 or 211 project), academic performance at a level recognized for distinction is expected.
- Students from HK, Macau, Taiwan and abroad are welcome.
- High English proficiency; proof of materials like TOFEL, IELTS, GRE, CET 4/6, TEM 4/8 or others are necessary.
- All undergraduate majors welcome.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND CHECKLIST
- Register for an online application via the portal (http://ss.pkusz.edu.cn/stlsmh) before June 15, 2015.
- Send compressed file of the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 15, 2015.
- Resume in Chinese and English
- Personal Statement in Chinese and English
- Evidence of English Proficiency
- Certificate of Enrollment with official stamp from Office of Academic Affairs
- Academic transcripts with official stamp from Office of Academic Affairs (in Chinese and English)
- Certificate of Ranking issued by Office of Academic Affairs or related schools
- Other materials like Certificate of Awards, academic articles or achievements
TUITION AND SCHOLARSHIPS
Tuition is 3,000 RMB, which includes accommodation, insurance and Hong Kong visit expenses. Tuition is paid via bank transfer to the Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School account after being admitted.
STL offers a limited number of need-based scholarships to SHP students. To apply for a scholarship, please submit the following materials to email@example.com by June 15:
- Certificate of financial need (scanned copies are acceptable); and
- Brief statement in English explaining your financial hardship
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION and FUTURE J.D./J.M. ADMISSIONS
At the conclusion of the program, students will be presented with a personalized “Certificate of Completion”from STL recognizing their successful participation in SHP.
SHP students wishing to apply to STL’s J.D./J.M. program for admission in 2016 will be allowed to submit a personal essay following the conclusion of SHP. The essay will be afforded substantial weight in STL’s admissions process.
Peking University School of Transnational Law
B103, Peking University, University Town
Xili, Nanshan District
Tel: 86-755-2603 2571
Fax: 86-755-2603 2567