STL Now Accepting Applications for 2016 Summer Honors Program
Peking University School of Transnational Law
Summer Honors Program
Peking University School of Transnational Law (“STL”), on PKU’s Shenzhen Graduate Campus, is the only law school in the world that combines an American-style Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) with a China law Juris Master degree (J.M.). STL provides an academically rigorous, bilingual four-year program of legal education that prepares students for the mixture of common law, civil law, and Chinese legal traditions increasingly characteristic of the global economy.
The STL Summer Honors Program (“SHP”) is designed to introduce students to STL’s unique educational program. It includes interactive J.D. and J.M. classes taught by STL’s full-time faculty, moot court arguments, an introduction to the unique legal developments under way in the Greater Pearl River Delta (which includes Shenzhen and Hong Kong), and visits to leading businesses and regional legal and judicial institutions. SHP students also enjoy plenty of opportunities to socialize with each other and meet STL students and graduates.
A large portion of SHP participants choose to enroll in STL’s full time J.D. and J.M. dual degree program.
The 2016 Summer Honors Program will be held in Shenzhen and Hong Kong from July 31, 2016 to August 6, 2016. The application period is open now and closes on June 19 (Beijing time).
- Non-Chinese citizen applicants should possess a valid passport and should be rising university seniors or recent university graduates.
- In order to ensure meaningful participation in the dual-language Summer Honors Program, applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency—TOFEL or IELTS scores. Additionally, non-Chinese citizen applicants must provide evidence of Chinese (Mandarin) proficiency—HSK score or a sample of written work in Chinese.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae;
- Academic Records: Official transcripts from undergraduate (and graduate, if applicable) institutions; and official degree certificates (original or notarized documents with English translations if documents are not in English).
- A copy of evidence of English Proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS score;
- A copy of evidence of Chinese Proficiency or a sample of written work in Chinese;
- A brief personal statement that describes the applicant’s background and interest in STL; and
- A copy of valid passport, or identification card;
- Please apply through the STL SHP online application portal before June 19, 2016.
- After applying online, please also send the electronic application materials to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the email should be “SHP Application: College name + College major + Applicant Name.”
The deadline to submit SHP applications is June 19, 2016 (Beijing time). All application materials should reach STL before the deadline.
Expenses and Fees
Tuition for SHP is 3,000 RMB, which includes accommodation, dining, and Hong Kong visit expenses. Tuition is paid via bank transfer to the Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School after an applicant is admitted.
Certificate of Completion
At the conclusion of SHP, students will be presented with a personalized “Certificate of Completion” from STL recognizing their successful participation in SHP. SHP students wishing to apply to STL’s J.D./J.M. program for admission in 2017 will be allowed to submit a personal essay following the conclusion of SHP. The essay will be afforded weight in STL’s admissions process.