J.D. and B.A., 伊利诺伊大学香槟分校
Philip McConnaughay，北京大学国际法学院（STL）院长。加入STL之前，他曾任宾州州立大学法学院院长。McConnaughay院长著作甚丰，在国际商事纠纷解决国际贸易规制等领域发表过多篇学术论文并编写过许多书籍。他曾在越南，中国，以及欧洲等地讲学，并被中国西北大学聘为访问教授。此外，他还作为Morrison & Foerster律所的合伙人在其东京和香港办公室供职长达十年时间。
Select Academic Articles and Edited Books:
- China and the Globalization of Legal Education: A Look Into the Future (with Colleen B. Toomey), invited chapter for University of California, Irvine and Australian National University symposium and book, THE GLOBALIZATION OF LEGAL EDUCATION (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2018).
- The Potential of Private Commercial Arbitration for Facilitating Economic Growth in Less Developed Countries, invited chapter for book, PROCEEDINGS OF 2016 CONGRESS OF INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL FOR COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION (Kluwer, 2017).
- Preparing for the Sinicization of the Western Legal Tradition: The Case of Peking University School of Transnational Law (with Colleen B. Toomey), invited chapter for Asian Law Institute, National University of Singapore, Shanghai Jiao Tong University research symposium and book, LEGAL EDUCATION IN ASIA: FROM IMITATION TO INNOVATION (Brill, 2017).
- The Role of Arbitration in Economic Development and the Creation of Transnational Legal Principles, 1 Peking University Transnational Law Review 9 (2013).
- The Risks and Virtues of Lawlessness: A “Second Look” at International Commercial Arbitration, 93 Northwestern University Law Review 453. This 1999 article was republished in full in 2009, along with articles by Soia Mentschikoff, Andrei Schleifer, Alan Schwartz, Lisa Bernstein, Orley Ashenfelt, and others, as one of “the most important articles on arbitration,” in ECONOMICS OF COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION (O. Ashenfelter, Princeton, and R. Iyengar, LSE, eds, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., London, 2009), of the series, ECONOMIC APPROACHES TO LAW (Richard A. Posner and Francesco Parisi, senior eds).
- Foreword, DISPUTE SETTLEMENT IN CHINA-AFRICA ECONOMIC RELATIONS, Won Kidane (Kluwer Law International, 2011).
- The Scope of Autonomy in International Contracts and its Relation to Economic Regulation and Development, 39 Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 595 (2001).
- Rethinking the Role of Law and Contracts in East-West Commercial Relations, 41 Virginia Journal of International Law 427 (2001).
- Reviving the Public Law Taboo in International Conflict of Laws, 35 Stanford Journal of International Law 255 (1999).
- DEFINING VALUES FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY: THE UNIVERSITY’S CHANGING ROLE (William T. Greenough, P. McConnaughay and Jay Kesan, eds., 2007, Rowman & Littlefield). This volume explores the challenges and opportunities presented by the increasingly economic role of major research universities and includes papers by several prominent international figures, including M.S. Swaminathan (World Food Prize Winner), Erich Bloch (Former Director, NSF), Jack Gibbons (Former U.S. National Science Advisor), Lord Meghnad Desai (London School of Economics and United Nations), Timothy Reeves (Director General, CIMMYT), and others.
- INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION IN ASIA (P. McConnaughay and Tom Ginsburg, eds., Juris Press, New York, 2002; second edition 2005). This volume includes detailed assessments by local scholars and practitioners of international commercial dispute resolution practices in all major East Asian jurisdictions.
- HUMAN RIGHTS, THE RULE OF LAW, AND DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA (Paul Tiyambe Zeleza and P. McConnaughay, eds., University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004). This volume includes papers by several prominent African jurists, human rights activities, and government officials.
- Panelist, “2018 Shenzhen International Forum on Belt and Road Initiative,” Shenzhen, China, January 17, 2018 (with Stepan Mesić, former President of Croatia; Dusan Bella, Ambassador Extraordinaire, Slovak Republic; Cosmin Necula, Mayor of Bacău, Romania; Alexandros Modiano, Deputy Mayor, Athens, Greece; Zhu Huayou, Deputy Secretary General, Hainan; and Wu Sikang, Director of Development, Shenzhen).
- Panelist, Chulalongkorn University, “Conference on Global Legal Education,” Bangkok, Thailand, January 8, 2018 (with David Kennedy, Manley Hudson Professor of Law, Harvard Law School; Surakiart Sathirati, former Foreign Minister of Thailand; and Vitit Muntarbhorn, United Nations Special Rapporteur for Gender Equality).
- Guest, “World Insight,” CGTN’s (China) nationwide television program on global affairs. Fellow guests for this episode included Dr. Victor Gao, personal interpreter for Deng Xiaoping, and Professor Hai Wen, one of China’s leading development economists. Aired on October 16, 2017; hosted by journalist Tian Wei.
- “Globalization of Legal Education: The Case of Peking University School of Transnational Law,” University of California, Irvine School of Law and Australian National University School of Regulation and Global Governance, Symposium on Globalization and Legal Education, September 8-9, 2017.
- “China’s Impact on the Western Legal Tradition: A Preview from the Pearl River Delta,” Amity University Law Faculty (Noida), Jamia Millia Islamia University (Delhi), Jindal Global Law School (Sonipat), Sharda University School of Law (Delhi), Symbiosis Law School (Noida), and NIRMA University Institute of Law (Ahmedabad), India, February 2-9, 2017.
- “The Interplay of Different Legal and Commercial Traditions Among ‘One Belt, One Road’ Partners,” KIMEP University Faculty of Law and al-Farabi Kazakh National University Faculty of Law, Almaty, Kazakhstan, October 24-25, 2016.
- “Preparing for the Sinicization of the Western Legal Tradition: The Case of Peking University School of Transnational Law,” VI St. Petersburg International Legal Forum (Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, presiding), St. Petersburg, Russia, May 18, 2016.
- “The Potential of Private Commercial Arbitration for Facilitating Economic Growth in Less Developed Countries,”2016 Congress of International Council for Commercial Arbitration, Mauritius, May 9, 2016.
- “Experiments with Legal Education in China: One Step Ahead of the EU and U.S.?” Keynote Address, Plenary Session, European Law Faculties Association (“ELFA”) Annual Meeting, Istanbul, April 2015.
- Panelist, “The Rule of Law in China’s Free Trade Areas,” China Free Trade Zone Arbitration Forum, Authority of Qianhai, Shenzhen, China, April 2015.
- “Innovations in Legal Education in China,” Xi’an Jiao Tong University Symposium on Global Legal Education, Xi’an, China, November 2014.
- “Developments in Legal Education in China,” Annual Conference of Turkey’s Court of Cassation, Constitutional Court and High Council of Judges and Prosecutors, Antalya, Turkey, October 2013.
- “Commentary on Professor Kun Fan’s Arbitration in China,” Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Annual Conference, Miami, Florida, January 2013.
- “Why American Influence on International Commercial Arbitration May Not Be Such a Good Idea,” Keynote Address, Loyola University Chicago School of Law International Law Review Annual Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, February 2012.
- “The Role of Arbitration in Economic Development,” ICC-Palestine Symposium on International Commercial Arbitration, Ramallah, Palestinian Territories, December 2011.
- “Pursuing Global Legal Education,” Keynote Address, European Law Faculties Association (“ELFA”) Annual Meeting, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland, February 2011.
- “Emerging Trends in Legal Education,” United States Judicial Conference for the Third Circuit (all Third Circuit federal judges), Hershey, Pennsylvania, April 2010.