Each year, close to 25 students represent STL overseas at international moot court competitions. The competitions provide intense training in legal writing and oral advocacy, helping to augment skills already acquired in our Transnational Legal Practice program. Faculty coaches work closely with each moot court team to guide learning while the law school provides financial support for travel. Students are placed on teams at the beginning of each academic year through a highly selective tryout process involving personal statements, an oral evaluation involving a hypothetical case, and a thorough review of grades.
STL’s moot court program has garnered acclaim as students achieve successful results. For the second year in a row, STL Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court team bested 32 other Chinese schools to win the championship of the 12th annual CIETAC Cup in Beijing. Many students have also been recognized individually with awards for outstanding performance, including accolades for Best Oralists and Best Briefs.
STL currently sponsors teams to attend the following competitions:
- ELSA WTO Moot Court (Geneva)
- International Criminal Court Moot Competition (Hague)
- Jessup International Law Moot Court (Washington, D.C.)
- Law Without Walls (Miami)
- Red Cross International Humanitarian Law Moot Court (Hong Kong)
- Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court (Vienna)