Peking University School of Transnational Law
2024 J.D. and J.M. Dual Degree Program Information
(For International Students)
1. Program Overview
Peking University School of Transnational Law (STL), part of PKU’s Shenzhen Graduate School, is the only law school in the world that combines an American-style Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) with a China law Juris Master degree (J.M.). STL provides an academically rigorous, bilingual four-year program of legal education that prepares students for the mixture of Common Law, civil law, and Chinese legal traditions increasingly characteristic of the global economy.
For more information on faculty and curriculum, please visit STL’s website: https://stl.pku.edu.cn/ .
2. Program Structure
STL’s four year J.D. and J.M. dual degree program is rich in cutting-edge courses designed to equip STL graduates of all nationalities for law practice and leadership in advanced economies based on technological innovation, global financial services, and internationalization. J.D. courses are taught in English and China law J.M. courses are taught in Chinese.
3. How to Apply
Applicants must comply with PKU's policy (北京大学 2024 年外国留学生研究生招生简章（校本部）; English version available here: http://oldisd.pku.edu.cn/info/1468/7208.htm) as well as STL's requirement.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport before April 30, 2018, and have attained a bachelor’s degree.
2. Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency-TOFEL or IELTS scores.
3. Applicants must provide Chinese language proficiency-HSK 6 or HSK 7 – 9 scores within its validity of two years.
4. Applicants must take the LSAT or GRE before March 2024.
All application materials must be submitted by March 15, 2024, 24:00pm, Beijing Standard Time. We recommend applying by March 1, 2024 to avoid the rush of last minute applications.
1. Please apply online using the PKU portal (http://www.studyatpku.com/member/login.do).
After you successfully complete your application you will receive a confirmation report. Please print a copy of the report for your records. You will need to provide a copy of this report when you submit your hard copy.
2. In addition to the online application, please send materials listed in “Application Checklist” below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a copy of the confirmation report mentioned immediately above in #1.
3. If pre-admitted, please also send original hard copy of materials to the following address (please track delivery) before May 31, 2024:
J.D. and J.M. Admissions Office, Room 410
STL Building, Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School
University Town, Xili, Nanshan District, Shenzhen 518055, CHINA
Tel: (86 755) 2603 2287
Applicants must submit the materials listed below through PKU portal and send a scanned copy to email@example.com before March 15, 2024. Applications will only be reviewed after all materials are received. All documents should be prepared in English. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
1. Peking University School of Transnational Law Application Form (download from PKU portal, complete and sign).
2. Copy of degree certificate or studying certificate.
3. Academic Records. Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions, and official degree certificates (original or notarized documents with English translations if documents are not in English).
4. Personal statement. Please explain your reasons for pursuing a J.D. and J.M. degree at STL and why you believe STL’s program will advance your professional goals (no more than 1500 words, download from https://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/down/shen/ru.html, complete and sign).
5. Resume or Curriculum Vitae and Letter of Commitment of Application (download from https://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/down/shen/ru.html, complete and sign).
6. Letters of Recommendation. At least two signed letters of recommendation from professors, employers, or others familiar with your academic and professional qualifications (download from https://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/down/shen/ru.html, complete and sign).
7. Proof of English Competency. Copy of results of TOEFL or IELTS. Alternatively, you may attest that English is your native language or that you attended university and received your undergraduate degree in an English-speaking country.
8. Copy of LSAT or GRE score.
9. Proof of Chinese-language competency sufficient for graduate-level academic work. Score of HSK-6 or HSK 7 – 9 satisfies the requirement with PKU's policy (北京大学 2024 年外国留学生研究生招生简章（校本部）) .
10. Copy of passport or identification card.
All applications require a fee of 800 RMB and only RMB is accepted via PKU portal. Application fee is non-refundable.
Deadline for Application
The deadline to apply for AY2024-25 admission to STL is March 15, 2024.
The Admissions Committee will review each application and decide whether to invite the applicant to interview with the Committee. Interviews typically occur in person in Shenzhen, but the Committee has arranged video interviews for students unable to travel to China.
The Admissions Committee will make decisions on a rolling basis. Interview usually is arranged in late March.
Accommodations and Services
Most international students choose to live on Peking University’s modern and attractive graduate school campus, which permits convenient access to the many on-campus community, dining, and sports opportunities, as well as close proximity to the STL Building and mass transportation serving the entire city and region. Single and double rooms are available in graduate student housing. Students may also choose to live off campus.
Tuition and Costs
The tuition fee for STL’s J.D. and J.M. degree is 120,000 RMB per year. The cost of living on campus is low in comparison to top university programs outside of China. For example, the current annual cost for a single room with private bathroom and small balcony is 15,840 RMB.
Applicants also are encouraged to consider scholarships for which they are qualified.
Kim ZHONG, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Communications
Tel: (86 755) 2665 7647
Carrie TAN, Assistant Director of Admissions
Tel: (86 755) 2603 2287